Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Sheff Elaborates

Gary Sheffield, apparently surprised that his comments have caused such a ruckus, has elaborated on them.

I bring this up mostly because I think it's fair to let Mr. Sheffield try to explain himself, but also because I felt that my previous post deserves a little explanation.

Gary says that his comments stem from the reality that Latino players have more to lose and will therefore tolerate more to stay in the United States. I have no doubt that this is true. It's basic economics. Furthermore, if MLB teams use this reality to abuse their Latino players or to "control" them beyond what one might consider just, that is obviously wrong.

My quibble with Gary Sheffield extends only towards his idea that some one will "respect" a person who always does things the way he or she wants to, and that being stubborn and uncooperative are somehow virtues in a team sport. Gary's newer comments help clarify his feelings on this issue.

No comments: